ANOTHER NEW ADDITION - From the Australian Psychological Society:
NEW ADDITION: Another article by me published in OutInPerth:
From the Australian Psychological Society - Downloadable brochures :
The Australian Psychological Society Marriage Equality website- may also be of interest
Recently ADDED: Protecting yourself and your family from marriage-equality hate (Out In Perth magazine article by me)
SEE ALSO FROM ACON: STAYING STRONG DURING THE MARRIAGE EQUALITY DEBATE
You might find this of interest - The ANZ "#HoldTight" Campaign about how ANZ is expressing support for the LGBTIQ community with it's “Hold Tight”, a campaign celebrating the power of holding hands.
Watch the add here on YouTube
See ANZ staff talk about the #HoldTight campaign
My article about " Top tips for getting the most out of Mardi Gras" in OutinPerth
Gay and Lesbian issues could include:
- Depression or Anxiety (often, though not always, a result of “less than equal” treatment)
- Wanting to develop a Gay/Lesbian support network away from “the scene”?
- Wanting to explore questions about "How will I meet Mr/Ms Right?"
- Dealing with issues about discrimination or less than equal treatment
- Feeling the need to hide who you really are in the workplace or other settings
- Wanting to reduce internalized Homophobia or heterosexism
- Feeling guilty about being Lesbian or Gay or that it's "wrong"
- Concerns about responses of family, friends, or your church to “coming out”
- Conflicts between cultural or religious beliefs and homosexuality
- More general fears about “coming out”
- Social isolation from other Lesbians and Gay men
- Alcohol or other drug addiction
Apart from the “usual” things people go to see a counsellor or psychologist about…
LGBTI Inspirational stories and links:
Coming out: Tips for parents and families of gay kids - by Kristen Russo (Archer Magazine)
Australian Dad's read "I think I'm a Poof" - A book for primary school aged children
See http://www.ithinkimapoof.com/pages/about-the-author for more info about the book.
See also an article from DNA magazine, where the author talks about why he wrote the book
An inspirational Youtube Video - "Stand Up! - Don't Stand for Homophobic Bullying"
Also worth looking at on Youtube "Coming Out" & "Coming Out to Each Other"
From "BeLongto" the Irish support group for young Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people.
The Best LGBT Books of all Time- Various writers list and explain why particular books would be on their list of favourite LGBT books.
Websites that may be particularly relevant include:
- Another Closet - LGBTIQ Domestic and Family Violence.
Most LGBTIQ relationships are based on love and respect. Some are based on abuse and control. This website is written for people in LGBTIQ relationships who are, or may be, experiencing domestic and family violence.
- Australian Marriage Equality - " Australian Marriage Equality is a national organisation working for equal marriage for all consenting adults, as we a believe person’s gender or sexuality should not affect their legal rights and responsibilities under Australian marriage law."
- Lesbians on the Loose Magazine - Their mission: To maintain and build upon 25 years of successful publishing and continue to offer fresh and diverse content for lesbian and bisexual women through quality journalism and community involvement.
- Out & Online - "Out & Online is an online program to improve wellbeing and reduce mental health symptoms in same-gender attracted youth aged 18-25 years. Out & Online provides early intervention for symptoms of anxiety and depression based on scientifically tested psychological treatment."
- The Beyond Blue website for the Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex (GLBTI) population;
- Stop Think Respect campaign - "Imagine being made to feel like crap just for being left handed."
- Freedom Centre - For young people (under 26) to support each other and their communities to be informed, happy and healthy about their sexuality, sex and gender.
- Living Proud (previously known as Gay & Lesbian Community Services of WA)
- OutinPerth - Gay and Lesbian Perth WA News and information
- Pride WA - Celebrating Diverse Sexualities
- Q-life - The Nationally oriented counselling and referral service for people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities
Books, biography's, and autobiography's that may be useful include:
Empowering the tribe : a positive guide to gay and lesbian self-esteem - Richard Pimental-Habib
DVD's* that may be of interest
Brokeback Mountain (2005)
Beautiful Thing (1996)
Stonewall (1995 docu-drama)
* Links are to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB).
The Stonewall Inn - Greenwich Village, New York
Site of the June 28, 1969 Stonewall Riots often described as the start of the modern
Gay and Lesbian rights movement.
"Our gayness is not something like skin colour, or sex, or infirmity, apparent to both us and others. We have to discover our homosexuality, and having discovered it, we have a wide range of options, hardly available to others who are stigmatized, as to how we should reveal our stigma."
Dennis Altman (1971) Homosexual Oppression and Liberation. New York, NY: Avon Books.
Articles I've written for Out In Perth (www.outinperth.com )