Colin Longworth - Psychologist & Counsellor
I have been a registered psychologist since 2008.
(I've also been doing volunteer phone counselling since 1981)
My qualifications include a four year Psychology degree from Edith Cowan University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling from Murdoch University.
In addition to general registration, I am able to supply services under Medicare (with a GP referral).
Information about Medicare referrals can be found via this link to the Department of Health and Aging.
A form for your GP to complete to assist in making a referral is available here (it is not essential, just helpful to me) and gives your GP information they will need, in particular my provider numbers.
1. Medicare sessions are not "free" they are subsidised (i.e. Medicare will only pay a small proportion of the APS recommended fee);
2. I have been advised that GP referrals for psychological sessions under Better Access must specifically state the number of sessions to be provided. While this requirement is not new, the Department of Health had previously accepted that this requirement could be put aside.
Now, if a referral letter does not specify the number of sessions required, I am obliged to contact the referrer to seek clarification of the number of sessions to be provided.
3. The Medicare rebate is less than a third of the $260 recommended fee (although I do charge less than the APS recommended fee), i.e. you can expect to pay a "Gap fee";
4. Psychologist's work in a different way to GP's so psychologist billing practices cannot be compared to those of a "Bulk Billing GP" (it's like comparing "Apples and "Oranges");
5. Because Psychologists only see one client an hour, Bulk Billing may only be possible under certain limited circumstances (I try to restrict Bulk-billing to those in the most dire circumstances, e.g. those living in Hostels or Domestic Violence Refuges - Concession card holders usually pay a $12.55 "Gap");
6. Medicare does not cover couple/relationship counselling.
My times and locations: Please select this link to get a downloadable page with details of when I am usually at particular sites.
GP Practices relatively nearby to my locations include:
My Medicare Provider Numbers (for your GP) are:
4498227F (Perth- East) 4498222Y (Huntingdale-Thornlie)
Professional interests and expertise include:
- Adjustment issues;
- Alcohol & Other Drug (AOD) issues;
- Couple counselling;
- Difficult workplace scenarios
- Domestic Violence
- Family of Origin issues;
- Fly-In Fly-Out work (FIFO) challenges;
- Gay and Lesbian Counselling;
- Grief and Loss;
- Prepare-Enrich Couple Program
- Self Esteem;
My goal is to provide a range of psychological and related services to both individuals and groups, at a reasonable price, both face to face and via telephone and the internet, both during normal office hours as well as "out of hours" (for those in the paid workforce).
Look at my Healthengine listings on each location page, or contact my booking service on
1300 50 67 68
for more information
or to make a booking